read on....

Feel free to leave any comments !!

Friday 4 March 2011

Assignment 3:Design Safari



Usually in design we seem to concentrate on objects and take no notice of how they are used or their effect on people. Therefore, in understanding design its important that we observe people rather than things. This assignment is intended to make us feel lost as we are asked to observe people in situations we haven’t been in ourselves.

Activity 3A

For the first task we have been asked to look at the website servicedesigntools.org. Then read through some examples and case studies trying to identify if any would have been useful on our studio projects from this year. Then right about the tool and how I would have applied it to a project.

The website lists lots of tools for doing design research, I found that some of the tools I have already been using throughout my projects i.e
Mind mapping -Starting with an idea in the middle with signs, lines, words and drawings then used to build a system of thoughts around the starting point. This tool allows the hand and minds work simultaneously.
After our first assignment through design studies and being taught how to use it properly I use this tool in all my studio projects. It helps me to put basic ideas down and then expand on them easily.

One tool that I found that I think would be useful to apply to my studio work is
Moodboard-A visual composition of pictures and materials that suggest an atmosphere by giving a broad perception of it. This helps to describe ideas that are to difficult to describe by words.
I would apply this to my studio work by preparing a mood board for presentations to clients. Giving them a better visual idea of colours and materials.

We were also asked to look at a tool called train ride and discuss it.

The train ride
A rough sketch of a train journey shows touch points to build the journey. The user experience is obtained by connecting the different touch points in a sequence.
This tool is used to give the customer a better idea of the journey both visually and physically. Being able to touch each point from start to end is more satisfying for the customer.
Being an interior designer I would apply this to a project by creating a simple visual journey through one of the interior spaces I have designed. This would allow the client to follow the touch points to get from one end of the space to the other with ease, giving a clear visual path.

No comments:

Post a Comment